At my school we’ve been working hard to move away from standardized testing. We’re spending a lot of time developing assessments that require more from students than simply bubbling.
We use the NGSS standards so we’ve developed a pretest which assesses each of the following Practices of Scientists and Engineers:
- Asking questions (science) and defining problems (engineering)
- Developing and using models
- Planning and carrying out investigations
- Analyzing and interpreting data
- Using mathematics and computational thinking
- Constructing explanations (science) and designing solutions (engineering)
- Engaging in argument from evidence
- Obtaining, evaluating and communicating information
The pretest is mean to not only assess your students, but also to provide a learning experience. As they complete the assessment, students will gain a new perspective on what it is that they will be expected to do. This is addressed in the included student reflection.
Latest posts by Laney Lee (see all)
- How to Start a Teacher Blog: The Ultimate Guide - January 20, 2020
- Reaching the First TPT Milestone - January 16, 2020
- Classroom Management Strategies: Assignment Tracking - January 13, 2020