Looking for an extension activity for your DNA unit? Do you need a straightforward summative project that students can complete without too much teacher assistance? This genetic disorders project is the perfect resource for you!
In this project, students will combine their knowledge of DNA, chromosomes, and mutations to determine the causes of a relatively common genetic disorder. At the same time, they will research symptoms, treatments, and other relevant information about the disorder to raise awareness and inclusiveness.
Who is this resource for?
This resource can be used by classroom teachers, tutors, and parents of students in grades 6-9. Ideal for classrooms with internet access and student devices.
This project covers 29 human genetic disorders.
- Teacher Tips (notes on differentiation)
- Student introduction letter
- Brief descriptions of each disorder
- Class sign up sheet
- Student research sheet
- Digital version
Purchase includes a printable PDF file in color. On page 2 of this resource you will find a link to a student friendly Google Doc version of this file. You will be able to copy this file and use it with Google Classroom or any other paperless initiative.
Please take a look at the preview file to see more of this resource.
How Can I Use this Resource?
- Formative or Summative Assessment
- Inquiry based instruction
- Creation of Independent Work Packet for students who are not able to be present for direct instruction.
- Extension activity for early finishers or for students who show a special interest in the topic
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit my store for more on classroom management and hundreds of other teaching resources.
NGSS STANDARDS COVERED BY THIS DNA EXTRACTION LAB: