Introduce ecosystems, or wrap up a unit with some project based learning on invasive species! Your purchase secures both a fully inclusive PDF file for in class projects as well as a comprehensive Google Slides file which can be copied and edited. This digital version will transform your classroom into a completely paperless zone!
This assessment ties together several ecology topics such as resource availability, interactions of organisms, cycling of matter and energy, competition, and the idea that populations are affected by various physical and biological components of ecosystems. Students will investigate how their species has impacted its non-native ecosystem as well as describing planned solutions for maintaining biodiversity.
After students have completed their research, they will film a segment of an imaginary television show called Ecology’s Most Wanted. In their video they will act as a news anchor and cover all the major information about their species and its impact on the ecosystem.
This invasive species project includes:
- Link to digital version of all student pages
- A short Introduction Activity covering honey bees and stink bugs. A short reading plus student comprehension questions are included. I highly recommend completing this activity prior to beginning the project to clarify what an invasive species is.
- Project Description sheets, both expanded and specific, outlining the projects requirements with spaces to fill in due dates.
- Invasive species list and student signup sheet
- 3 pages designed to Guide Research for students
- Source Organizer pages to support good research and citation skills
- Project Rubric
Visit my store for more great projects and hundreds of other teaching science resources.
NGSS Standards covered: