Guide your students through this NGSS (MS-ESS2-6), student centered investigation on of a city of their choice and how the latitude, global winds, and ocean currents affect the climate there.
This investigation is in 5 parts:
- Choose a city and determine it’s latitude
- Research and summarize the city’s climate
- Research and model (using a provided map template) the ocean currents that neighbor the city
- Answer summary questions about how the uneven heating of the Earth creates ocean currents and how the currents which neighbor your city create the climate of the city
- Research and model (using a provided map template) the global winds that overlap with the city
- Answer summary questions about how the uneven heating of the Earth creates global winds and how the winds which neighbor your city create the climate of the city
- Write a concluding paragraph about how latitude, ocean currents, and winds create the climate of the city.
Project intro and rubric are included.
I completed this investigation with my students virtually. Your purchase will secure both a printable PDF file as well as a link to a Google Slides version of the resource.
This resource is aligned with the following NGSS standards:
MS-ESS2-6. Develop and use a model to describe how unequal heating and rotation of the Earth cause patterns of atmospheric and oceanic circulation that determine regional climates.