Looking for an extension activity for your weather and climate unit? Do you need a straightforward activity that students can complete without too much teacher assistance? If you answered yes to either of these questions, then this ocean currents webquest is the perfect activity!
What is covered in this resource?
- Major global ocean currents
- Map analysis skills
- How ocean currents affect regional climates
- The Great Pacific Garbage patch (ecology connections)
Tips for using this resource:
Personally, I would advise printing at least the map portion of this resource. Students will need red and blue colored pencils or markers to complete the map on paper. You can provide students a map of the ocean currents to copy, or leave it up to them to research on their own.
For the webquest portion of this resource, students will need to access two different websites to investigate the Great Pacific Garbage Patch and how it connects to the environment and ocean currents.
Who is this resource for?
This resource can be used by classroom teachers, tutors, and parents of students in grades 6-9. It comprehensively covers the topics mentioned, and provides opportunities for student responses which can be implemented in a whole group lesson or assigned for homework. Ideal for classrooms with internet access and student devices.
How Can I Use this Ocean Currents Webquest?
- Emergency Sub Plans
- An independent work station in a set of stations
- Flipped Classroom pre-reading
- Whole or small group opportunity to model and teach Close Reading strategies and annotation
- Differentiation – Assign this webquest as reteaching for students who have yet to show mastery.
- Creation of Independent Work Packet for students who are not able to be present for direct instruction.
- Extension activity for early finishers or for students who show a special interest in the topic
- Use as a square on a Choice Board
- Interactive Notebooks: Print 2 pages in one and cut apart. Glue mini pages into notebooks with room for annotations on the side
- Interactive Notebooks: Print entire PDF as a mini booklet and add to notebooks using these simple instructions.
Purchase includes a printable PDF file in color. On page 2 of this resource you will find a link to a student friendly Google Slide version of this file. You will be able to copy this file and use it with Google Classroom or any other paperless initiative.
Please take a look at the preview file to see more of this resource.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit my store for more on classroom management and hundreds of other teaching resources.