Looking for an extension activity for your physics and motion unit? Do you need a hands-on way for students to extend their learning? If so, this Car Crashes Project is the perfect resource for you!
Bring physics to life with this engaging 5 day project covering Newton’s Laws and kinetic and potential energy!
Who is this resource for?
This resource can be used by classroom teachers, tutors, and parents of students in grades 6-9. It provides a variety of practice covering the mentioned topics.
This resource is aligned with the following NGSS standards:
- MS-PS2-1. Apply Newton’s Third Law to design a solution to a problem involving the motion of two colliding objects.
- MS-PS3-1. Construct and interpret graphical displays of data to describe the relationships of kinetic energy to the mass of an object and to the speed of an object.
This resource is intended to cover 5 days following the plan outlined below:
- Day 1: Introduce the premise using the following Youtube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUpiV2I_IRI. Complete a basic introduction on car and road safety features.
- Day 2: Discuss Newton’s First and Second Law based on differing masses
- Day 3: Newton’s Second Law based on differing accelerations
- Day 4: Newton’s Third Law & colliding cars of different masses
- Day 5: Kinetic Energy in cars with different masses
How Can I Use this Project?
- Formative or Summative assessment
- An independent work station in a set of stations
- Differentiation – Assign this project as an alternative assignment
- Extension activity for early finishers or for students who show a special interest in the topic
- Use as a square on a Choice Board
Purchase includes a printable PDF file in color with answer key. On page 2 of this resource you will find a link to a student friendly Google Doc version of this file. You will be able to copy this file and use it with Google Classroom or any other paperless initiative.
Please take a look at the preview file to see more of this resource.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit my store for more on classroom management and hundreds of other teaching resources.
There are no reviews yet.