Students use PhET Sim to explore density in an inquiry based lab.
Check out the Sim here::
This lab first walks students through finding volume through water displacement. Then students explore densities of different materials with the same mass but different volume, same volume but different mass, and then same density but different masses and volumes. Finally students find the density of 5 mystery materials and use a provided table to determine what each material is.
Who is this resource for?
This resource can be used by classroom teachers, tutors, and parents of students in grades 6-9. It comprehensively covers the mentioned topics, and includes several comprehension and extension questions that will lock in learning.
How Can I Use this Resource?
- Emergency Sub Plans
- An independent work station in a set of stations
- Differentiation – Assign this lab as reteaching for students who have yet to show mastery.
- Creation of Independent Work Packet for students who are not able to be present for direct instruction.
- Extension activity for early finishers or for students who show a special interest in the topic
- Use as a square on a Choice Board
Purchase includes a printable PDF file in color with answer key. On page 2 of this resource you will find a link to a student friendly Google Slide version of this file. You will be able to copy this file and use it with Google Classroom or any other paperless initiative.
Please take a look at the preview images to see more of this resource.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit my store for more on density and hundreds of other teaching science resources.