Investigate how humans impact the environment, conserve natural resources, and find science-based solutions for freshwater scarcity with this engaging lesson on sea water desalination and mangrove forests.
This lesson, although intended as a part of an NGSS Storyline on mangrove forests, can be used as a standalone lesson on the following topics:
- What is saltwater desalination?
- What are the benefits?
- What are the consequences?
- What is brine?
- What is brackish water?
- How are local ecosystems affected by this process?
In this lesson, students will first learn about desalination by conducting research on their device. Have students share out to establish a base understanding of this technology, as well as the benefits and drawbacks.
Next, a short reading describes the relevance of desalination to the Middle East and the impact of extremely salty water on mangrove trees.
Finally, students will examine a graph and make predictions regarding the impacts of desalination on mangrove populations.
Who is this sea water desalination and mangrove forests resource for?
This resource can be used by classroom teachers, tutors, and parents of students in grades 6-9. It comprehensively covers the topics mentioned, and provides opportunities for student responses which can be implemented in a whole group lesson or assigned for homework.
This lesson is ideal for classrooms with devices that have internet access.
This lesson is a part of a NGSS storyline unit that addresses the question: What would happen if mangrove forests disappeared?
This resource was originally designed to be used to support the conservation and restoration efforts of the UAE’s rich mangrove forest ecosystems. It has since been modified for use around the world. As a result, two versions of this lesson are provided: one specific to the UAE and one general.
How Can I Use this Resource?
- Emergency Sub Plans
- An independent work station in a set of stations
- Flipped Classroom pre-reading
- Whole or small group opportunity to model and teach Close Reading strategies and annotation
- Differentiation – Assign this reading as reteaching for students who have yet to show mastery.
- Creation of Independent Work Packet for students who are not able to be present for direct instruction.
- Extension activity for early finishers or for students who show a special interest in the topic
- Use as a square on a Choice Board
- Interactive Notebooks: Print 2 pages in one and cut apart. Glue mini pages into notebooks with room for annotations on the side
- Interactive Notebooks: Print entire PDF as a mini booklet and add to notebooks using these simple instructions.
- Student Sheet PDF
- Student Sheet Digital (Google Docs)
- 7 Slide Guiding Presentation (Google Slides)
Purchase includes a printable PDF file in color. On page 2 of this resource you will find a link to a student friendly Google Doc version of this file. You will be able to copy this file and use it with Google Classroom or any other paperless initiative.
Please take a look at the preview file to see more of this resource.
Check out our or email me at email@example.com.
NGSS STANDARDS COVERED BY THIS SEA WATER DESALINATION AND MANGROVE FORESTS:
There are no reviews yet.