Are you working on transitioning from content based science to skills based science? Are your students struggling with NGSS? If you answered yes to either of these questions, then this nature of science project is for you!
I designed this resource as an intro or a review of all the NGSS science and engineering practices. This 14 page booklet covers each of the following skills comprehensively:
1. Asking Questions and Defining Problems
2. Developing and Using Models
3. Planning and Carrying Out Investigations
4. Analyzing and Interpreting Data
5. Using Mathematics and Computational Thinking
6. Constructing Explanations and Designing Solutions
7. Engaging in Argument from Evidence
8. Obtaining, Evaluating, and Communicating Information
The questions in this assessment are designed to be rigorous and require students to predict, reflect, connect, and think critically about the content being presented.
Upon the completion of this booklet, break the students into groups and have them create a poster or digital presentation summarizing the importance of one of the skills. Group requirement pages are included in your download.
Who is this resource for?
This resource can be used by classroom teachers, tutors, and parents of students in grades 6-12.
How Can I Use this Resource?
- Emergency Sub Plans
- Break this booklet into stations
- Differentiation – Assign this booklet as reteaching for students who have yet to show mastery.
- Differentiation – Assign this as a project for students who are already showing mastery
- Creation of Independent Work Packet for students who are not able to be present for direct instruction.
- Extension activity for early finishers
- Use as a square on a Choice Board
- Interactive Notebooks: Print 2 pages in one and cut apart. Glue mini pages into notebooks with room for annotations on the side
- Interactive Notebooks: Print entire PDF as a mini booklet and add to notebooks using these
- Assessment either formative or summative.
- Teacher tips
- Student booklet (answer key included)
- Digital version
- Presentation Requirements (optional extension)
Purchase includes a printable PDF file in color. On page 2 of this resource you will find a link to a student friendly Google Slide version of this file. You will be able to copy this file and use it with Google Classroom or any other paperless initiative.
Please take a look at the preview file to see more of this resource.
Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit my store for more on classroom management and hundreds of other teaching resources.